Saturday, April 23, 2011

Allergy Free Easter...

Easter is a time of year which can be very hard for those of us with little ones who have food allergies. Tracking down something for the Easter egg hunt which is dairy free, wheat free, nut free, egg free, gluten free, etc can be a very difficult exercise.

This year I decided to make some little goodies for my middle daughter for just that reason.

When we think Chocolate we generally think it contains dairy of some sort...and for the most part this is true. However, many dark chocolates (such as those used for cooking) are actually dairy free. Check the ingredients list on the back - you'll find most dark chocolate uses cocoa butter and no dairy.

For my batch of goodies I took some dark cooking chocolate drops and melted them down, then using some heart shaped gluten free marshmallows and ice block sticks I made 'mellow-pops' and dipped one side in the melted chocolate as well as dipping some individual marshmallows too.

Next it was time to dip the plain rice crackers - though you can dip any of their favourite foods really.

Finally I mixed some rice bubbles into what was left of the melted chocolate and using a silicone ice cube mold I made little crunchy heart shaped chocolates. Once they set (which took all of 5 minutes in the fridge), I then wrapped them in tin foil. You can get coloured foils for this, but I just used what I had in the draw.

Now the Easter bunny has some allergy free treats to hide around our place, and my little darling can join her big sister hunting for them.

I hope you will all give making your own chocolates a try, it really is fun.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone x x x

For some non food treats pop over to the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment