Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Like a kid in a candy shop....



My work station is attached to our dinning room, which I must admit often becomes engulfed in my design process...lets face it - the dining table is just asking to be used for cutting out and drafting designs! Well at least mine is...and luckily I have a very understanding hubby (though even he rolls his eyes from time to time).


I have my laptop set up on an antique singer sewing table most of the time, though it does get transported to the lounge if there is something good on the telly and I am working late.


I am very fortunate to actually have a room for my sewing in our current house - for the first few years I was in a corner of the open plan lounge/dining - which was not exactly conducive to creativity. Now I feel like a kid in a candy shop with my own room.


I have so many different designs, creations and mediums meaning storage is always an issue. I have lined one wall of my room with shelves which house more fabric than I know what to do with. The other side has a bench desk I made from skirting board panels I found under the house, and shelving units are it's legs.


After finding that the seals on some dry goods jars were not exactly air tight, I have transfered them from kitchen to work room and the 'candy store' comes to life with jars full of buttons, flowers, beads and more...



My machines are far from new, but are in great order. The oldest is 25yrs+ followed closely by a 22yr one and the over locker is by far the newest, being only 6 years old. My dream would be to have a flash new machine with embroider & quilting capabilities...but that is still a long way off for now.


I draw inspiration from everywhere! Sometimes the colour of the sky will trigger me to think of a fabric I have in my stash, or one of my daughters will need a dress, hat, scarf...so off I go designing it. Often I will see something in the adult fashion world and adapt it to suit a child. I am also in love with the Arts & Crafts and Deco eras - shapes, design and fashion.


I draft my own designs & patterns using lunch paper as a template for the future. Hopefully one day I will work out how to create patterns to sell as well (it's on my VERY LOOOOONG to do list).


I have about 6+ design books overflowing with sketches & idea...some have been made and others are waiting in the wings for when I get the chance to bring them to life. With three daughters 5yrs and under, it may be a little while longer yet.


I hope you have enjoyed stepping into my world for a moment.


Amy x x x









No comments:

Post a Comment